Rio Arriba County
- On October 20 2018, in Espanola, New Mexico, Anthony Manzanares was shot and killed. Police are investigating whether Manzanares was involved in an altercation on October 18. In that incident, police were told an unidentified male tried to pick a fight with Manzanares and threatened to shoot him and his girlfriend. On the 20th, a car drove up and two men emerged from the vehicle and shot him before driving off. SOURCE: SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
- On October 4, 2018 in Espanola, New Mexico, Cameron Martinez, 18 years old, was killed in a shooting and three other people were wounded. Reports came in of multiple victims with gunshot wounds on New Mexico 68. Upon arrival, officers found two men and two women inside a vehicle, all with apparent gunshot wounds. Martinez was in a student program at Los Alamos National Laboratory. SOURCE: ALBUQUERQUE JOURNAL
- On May 5, 2018 in Espanola, New Mexico, a 36-year-old woman was shot and killed by Douglas D. Smith, age 68, who said he was trying to scare off a suspected prowler. Smith called the police and summoned them to his property. Smith was charged with second-degree murder. SOURCE: SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
- On December 21, 2017 in Mendalas, New Mexico, William Jimerson, 67, was found dead by neighbors with two bullet wounds to the head. The previous night, state police officers had been called to Jimerson’s house to take a report for arson. Jimerson reported that a suspect identified as Gabriel Sanchez, age 25, of Santa Clara, attempted to burn his residence, which is a singlewide trailer west of US 84, and wanted to kill him. The fire was located at the main entrance to the residence. The fire occurred in a woodpile and fire investigators determined that an accelerant, such as gasoline, was used to start the fire. According to the report William Jimerson alleged (to the responding officers) that Gabriel Sanchez wanted to kill him over a girl identified as Arajo Ann Martinez. After investigating, State Police Agent Joey Gallegos charged Sanchez with an open count of murder and tampering with evidence, after arresting him at his Santa Clara home Monday night. SOURCE: RIO GRAND SUN
- Between December 13 and December 19, 2017, in Española, New Mexico, three people allegedly armed with knives or guns robbed four businesses. Española police officers arrested Cristobal Quihuis, 38, of Española, on Dec. 17, shortly after he allegedly robbed Baskin Robbins at knifepoint. An arrest warrant has also been issued for Donald Salazar, age 37 for robberies at Motel 6 and a Giant gas station. A third suspect, who robbed Allsup’s on Dec. 13, has not been identified and police are seeking help to find the man responsible. SOURCE: RIO GRAND SUN
- On June 16, 2017 in Espanola, New Mexico, police charged Damian Herrera, age 21, with several counts of murder following the killing spree over a three-hour span. These homicides included the shooting deaths of Herrera’s mother, Maria Rosita Gallegos, age 49, stepfather, Max Trujillo Sr., age 55, and brother Brendan Herrera, age 20. New Mexico state police say Herrera also killed a third man, Michael Hyle, during a carjacking in Taos county and a fourth man, Manuel Serrano, at a general store in Abiquiu, New Mexico. SOURCE: KOB4 NEWS
- On February 18, 2017 in Alcalde, New Mexico, Anthony Montoya showed up at a woman’s home with a revolver and threatened her in front of her 3 year-old granddaughter. He said he would kill her and her children if she continued to “snitch” on him. After Montoya left, she called the Arriba county sheriff’s office and reported the incident. SOURCE: SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
- On January 27, 2017, in Espanola, New Mexico, a shooting occurred outside a gas station. Espanola police are searching for an Espanola Valley High School boys basketball player and another person in conjunction with this shooting that critically injured a 20 year-old man. Police chief Richard Gallego said the victim was shot in the head and is in critical condition after undergoing surgery at the University of New Mexico hospital.
- On October 6, 2016 in Espanola, New Mexico, police made an arrest in an Espanola shooting that injured a young mother in a trailer park in September. Robert Doss and his girlfriend, 22 year-old Fatima Trujillo, were driving to a friend’s house in Espanola with their 9 month-old baby in the backseat. Doss told police he and another driver gave each other a “stare-down.” The other driver, now identified as Bernardo Valdez, followed them and eventually started shooting, hitting Trujillo in the chest. One of the shots went through the passenger side door and struck Fatima Trujillo. Bernardo Valdez, age 29 of Espanola, is suspected of firing twice at a vehicle in the Zia Estates trailer Park. SOURCE: SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN and KRQE
- On August 6, 2015 in Espanola, New Mexico, 36 year-old Jeannie Guttierrez was shot and killed in a road rage incident. She was a member of the Santa Clara Pueblo.
- On June 6, 2015 in Dulce, New Mexico, a man shot himself to death when police showed up at a campsite in response to a 911 domestic violence call. When the police approached the tent the man emerged from the tent with a handgun. He then held the handgun up to his chin and shot and killed himself.
- On March 25, 2015 in Rio Arriba, New Mexico, a man is being held on a first degree murder charge for killing another man after a heated exchange in a Rio Arriba home. SOURCE: SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
- On July 23, 2014 in Rio Arriba, New Mexico ‘Bear” Sandoval considers himself lucky to be alive after his car was ambushed with gunfire. His body was covered in blood because of the broken glass. Luckily the bullets missed him. SOURCE: ALBUQUERQUE JOURNAL
- On January 17, 2013 in Rio Arriba, New Mexico, a 51 year-old male is behind bars after shooting and killing his 17 year-old niece. SOURCE: JOURNAL STAFF REPORT
- On September 13, 1993 in Rio Arriba, New Mexico, 9 year-old Vanessa Valerio was shot and killed by a home intruder. Her mother was also shot but survived. A playground has been built in honor of the girl. SOURCE: DAILY KOS
- On January 28, 1991 in Chimayo, New Mexico, a 28 year-old man shot and killed 7 people including a baby and 2 police officers. SOURCE: LOS ANGELES TIMES
- On April 22, 2013 in Espanola, New Mexico, 36 year-old Sergio Gandara shot and killed his 33 year-old ex-girlfriend Joneth Boroquez before turning the handgun on himself. Ms. Boroquez is the mother of a 7 year-old girl. SOURCE: SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
- On April 4, 2014 in Espanola, New Mexico, a 3 year-old was grazed by a bullet in the Walmart parking lot during a gang feud. SOURCE: NEW MEXICAN