Cibola County Gun Violence
- On December 7, 2018, in Bluewater Village, New Mexico, John Guerin, 76 years old, was killed from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Cibola County Sheriff’s office said that deputies were trying to serve an arrest warrant on Guerin at a mobile home. A shot was heard inside the residence. There was an exchange of gunfire. Source: Albuquerque Journal
- On May 26, 2017, in San Rafael, New Mexico, Hector Gamboa, 59 years old, was shot and killed by a member of the police SWAT team while trying to take him into custody. He was wanted in connection with the slaying of 54-year-old Blanca Renova, who was stabbed to death in early May. Police said that Gamboa refused to negotiate or comply with police commands prior to the shooting. The standoff lasted more than four hours. Source: Albuquerque Journal
- On March 3, 2015, at the Laguna Pueblo in New Mexico, 32-year-old Preston Marmolego was sentenced to 120 months in prison after assaulting his girlfriend and then shooting and injuring a tribal officer. Source: FBI
- On November 18, 2014 in Grants, New Mexico, 22 year-old Andrew Rea shot and killed the city code enforcer, Marty McBride. Source: KRQE News
- On October 6, 2014, in Cibola County, New Mexico, the high school homecoming dance was canceled after a disgruntled student posted on social media that he was going to shoot the school up. Source: KRQE News
- On September 4, 2014, two tribal members pled guilty to a drive by shooting at an Acoma Pueblo home. Source: FBI
- On May 22, 2012, at the Laguna Pueblo in New Mexico, a Laguna Pueblo officer shot and killed Gary Atencion after a chase began and Atencion pulled his car over and started shooting at his wife.